Sunday, November 20, 2016

Review: "The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder" by Vincent Bugliosi


I had started listening to the audio narration of The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder by Vincent Bugliosi several years ago and never finished it. My new car has a working CD player, and I remembered I had 3 more discs from this book, so I finished them driving around town over the last week.

Even though I lived through the events of George the Small's years in the White House, this book reminded me how bad he was and how much he deserves punishment for the criminal wars he pursued. If you are like me and you've forgotten or you are too young to know, it's worth a read.

But more importantly, he ends the book discussing the cultural changes he saw in the United States which allowed for the election of George the Small and the popularity he enjoyed for most of his rule. Now some of this is simply an aged curmudgeon (he hates rap music), but there are some points congruent with a book I reviewed earlier about the erosion of literacy.


Mr. Bugliosi passed away in 2015, so he did not witness the election of He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named a week ago. What would he say about the state of US culture now?

Finally, we must also acknowledge the total impunity which the Bush war criminals have enjoyed over the eight years of the Obama administration, which has itself perpetuated new war crimes. I support many civil rights organizations, and they are flooding my inbox with e-mails asking for donations and signatures on pledges to hold the next administration "accountable." Bugliosi tried and failed. Black Lives Matter tried and (as of yet) hasn't succeeded. Obama did not even close Gitmo. I know it is religiously mandated to remain optimistic, but I'm struggling.