Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Recommendation: Film "Road to Guantanamo"

While not "Muslim media", I have decided to post some comments on things which might interest readers of this blog. If not comments, pointers to things they may not know about yet.

The film Road to Guantanamo is worth seeing. I saw it at an Amnesty International/World Can't Wait screening in Atlanta yesterday. This morning I saw that the film was released in 2006, and I had no idea it existed until I saw it on the GeorgiaPeace.org web site calendar.

While you can read about the horrifying things in the movie, and if you're sensitive to violence and profanity skip this movie (but still go do something about this Bush regime's embrace of torture), I thought I'd mention a few funny things from the movie.

These four British Muslims are generally hapless in a Rosencrantz and Guildenstern kind of way (and we know how they ended up). When they're talking about going to Afghanistan, one of them motivates the others by talking about the big naan in Afghanistan. I started laughing, but no one else was laughing. Kind of like when I saw I'm Gonna Git You Sucka in a theater in South Chicago, and everyone would be laughing and I did not know what was going on.

Another funny scene is one of the British Muslims rapping to a decent U.S. soldier.

But really, the humorous scenes in this moview are few and far between. Of course there's a lot of information out there about the U.S.-operated detention facilities where torture is practiced, but don't neglect James J. Yee's book For God and Country: Faith and Patriotism Under Fire. For more information on James, visit http://www.justiceforyee.com/.

No comments: