Sunday, March 05, 2023

Review: Film "Lamya's Poem" by Alex Kronemer

Lamya's Poem, from Unity Productions Foundation, is an imaginative and moving animated film which can appeal to a variety of audiences. It would be inaccurate to pigeon-hole Lamya's Poem into a category. Is it advocacy on behalf of migrants fleeing war and poverty? Is it therapy for individuals who have experienced trauma? Is it fan-fiction for Jalal al-Din Rumi? Is it a call to Muslims to orient their religious practice in a particular manner?

There are certainly aspects of these themes in the film. Might the film have been simpler to digest had it restricted itself to a more straightforward narrative and less avant-garde visuals? Perhaps, but isn't it time Muslim media productions went beyond macaroni & cheese to a more nuanced and subtle dish?

The film is animated, and it portrays children, but don't make the mistake of thinking it is a children's film. Don't think that you can stick it in your DVD player and have it babysit your 8 year old while you shop on eBay. I'm no expert in what's appropriate for children based on their ages, but I'd definitely sit and discuss this with a child during and after viewing.

My favorite visual effect was the transformation of the Mongol cavalry charge which haunted Jalal al-Din's memories into the police kettle which trapped Lamya and other migrants in an unregulated gathering site in an unnamed European city.

I have requested through my public library books which appeared in the film's credits as sources for the translations of Rumi's poetry.

For many years I've supported Unity Productions Foundation. I urge readers of this blog to watch its productions and support as able. I also gave the film a good rating at IMDB.

I was able to watch this film on Hoopla Digital for free through my public library membership. As the film reminds us, the first word of the revelation is "Read!".